Do you want to go to Japan?
All you have to do is to pick up some trash!
SPOGOMI is an abbreviation of "Sport Gomihiroi (=picking up trash)", a sport in which teams compete against each other for points awarded according to the amount and type of trash picked up in a given area within a set time limit.
The winner of the qualifying tournament, which will be held in approximately 20 countries around the world, will represent their country and receive a ticket to the World Cup scheduled to be held in Japan (Tokyo) in November 2023. The winner of the qualifying tournament, which will be held in approximately 20 countries around the world, will represent their country and receive a ticket to the World Cup scheduled to be held in Japan (Tokyo) in November 2023. We will cover the cost of travel to Japan, accommodation, meals, and any other expenses deemed necessary!
What it's all about
There is no age limit and everyone is welcome to participate for free. Bring your friends and family and register a team of three people!
The attraction of this SPOGOMI is that not only is trash eliminated through competition, but with teamwork, and depending on strategy and tactics, anyone can "win," regardless of age or gender.
First time in Sweden
This is the first time that this event will be held in Sweden and the overall goal is to reduce the amount of trash that flows into the ocean and to create an opportunity for many people to focus on the marine waste problem, as the problem of marine waste is becoming more serious worldwide, and most of the marine waste is generated from land and cities.
About the competition
Date and Time: July 26 2023, 15:00~18:00
Meeting place: Zen Garden, NärCon Sommar 2023.
The competition area for picking up trash will be announced shortly before the event.
Schedule for the day (tentative)：
- 14:30 Regestration starts
- 15:00 Opening Ceremony
- 15:30 Start of the competition (1 hour)
- 16:30 Start of the trash separation
- Failure to return by this time will result in a point deduction or disqualification. Please see the rulebook for details.
- ~17:15 Results announced after tabulation
- ~17:45 End of Competition
- Each team must have three members.
- If any member of the team is under 12 years old, at least one member of the team must be 18 years old or older.
- A participant under the age of 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or guardian before participating.
- Wheelchair users are welcome to participate in the event. Please note that the competition venue may be difficult to move around depending on the location.
- Two of the three participants must be citizens of or resident in Sweden.
- If you wish to change the members of the team, please let us know before the registration desk on the day of the event.
- Must have or be in the process of obtaining a passport
- Must be able to travel to Japan in principle (November 20–23, 2023, with the final battle date scheduled for November 22, 2023) in the event of winning the qualifier.
The competition will cover the cost of travel to Japan, accommodation, meals, and any other expenses deemed necessary for the qualified team.
If for some reason a member of the qualifying team is unable to come to Japan for the World Cup, up to two members may be replaced (if all three members are unable to come to Japan, the second-placed team will be considered the representative).
In the event of a large number of applicants, applications may be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis or by lottery, so please apply as soon as possible. [Application Period] From May 23, 2023 to June 29, 2023
We will notify you of your acceptance or rejection of your application to the email address you have provided us by July 6, 2023.
Other notifications regarding the competition
- Please wear clothes suitable for physical activity on the day of the event. Changing rooms will not be provided.
- The management will provide work gloves (for 3 people), garbage bags (number of bags required), and tongs (up to 1 tong per team).
- No items not provided by the management may be used for trash pickup.
- Please bring your own rain gear if there is a threat of rain.
- If the event is canceled due to inclement weather, we will notify you by 17:00 the day before the event.
- Please note that photos and videos taken on the day of the event may be used later in web pages and publicity materials related to the event.
These are the official rules of SPOGOMI World Cup
- Participants compete for points awarded according to the type and weight of trash picked up in a designated time and area. The team with the highest score will win.
- The trash pickup will be 1 hour and the sorting will be 20 minutes. Points will be deducted if the time is exceeded.
- A team consists of three members.
- Multiple judges are stationed in the competition area to ensure safety and rule compliance. A caution may be given when rules are violated. If the violation is not corrected after multiple cautions, points will be deducted and the competitor will be disqualified.
- Please observe traffic rules and other rules in addition to the rules set forth here, and conduct your activities safely.
- Please be especially careful on narrow roadways. In the event of injury or accident during the competition, please immediately notify the judges and staff around you and ask for instructions.
Rules in terms of competition
- The distance between the first and last member should not be more than 10 meters apart.
- The goal is reached when the last member crosses the finish line and reports to the judge standing at the finish line.
- Do not run (fast walking is allowed)
- Walking: Method of movement with either foot on the ground at all times
- Running: a method of movement in which there is a moment when both feet leave the ground, float,
or jump at the same time.
What not to pick up
- Trash already in the trash bin
- Trash left at garbage collection points
- Trash that appears to be owned by others
- Judging from the surroundings (arranged and placed, signs of having been used recently, etc.)
- Bulky waste
- Large trash that does not fit into the garbage bags to be distributed (700 mm x 500 mm = 30 liters)
- Examples: batteries/ fans/ futons/ cushions/ fire extinguishers/ concrete/ blocks safes/ metal bars/ tires/ wheels/ stoves/ computers/ strollers/ rice cookers
- Hazardous waste
- Trash picked up by lifting road gutters and dovetails
- Do not leave the competition area
- Areas you are not allowed to enter
- In rivers and oceans
- Private property
- About the parking lot
- Coin-operated parking lots, although privately owned, shall be accessible due to their public nature that anyone can use them (parking lots exclusively for companies, organizations, etc. shall not be allowed).